Join the bracing and edging lesson in Maine! Improve boat control by mastering these two essential and interrelated skills! This lesson is for intermediate to advanced paddlers.
Intro to Sea Kayaking at Riverton Pool
- Paddler Ages 16+
Learn the basics of sea kayaking in the warm waters of Riverton pool in Portland, ME!
This is the course to take if you are new to sea kayaking — or if you started sea kayaking without gaining a solid foundation of skills and knowledge. You’ll learn all the basics with a small group of other paddlers over the course of two hours. Your instructor will get the group started with a discussion of equipment and the unique risks and hazards paddlers encounter on the Maine coast. Then you’ll get fitted into sea kayaks, learn techniques for launching your boat and then head onto the warm waters. Next you’ll learn proper paddling technique for the most important strokes of the sport. Eventually you’ll have a chance to perform a wet exit, which is the simple technique used to get out of your kayak after a capsize. And you’ll learn a few essential rescue techniques that you can use to reenter a kayak after a capsize.
You will get wet in this class, so bring something you are comfortable swimming in! Your instructor will do their best to customize the class to fit with each students’ goals, experience level and interests.
- Proper technique for the essential paddling strokes
- The major risks and hazards kayakers face and the primary methods of minimizing these risks
- The primary features of a sea kayak and the elements of boat fit and design
- How to complete a “wet exit” when a kayak capsizes — and how to perform a “T” rescue.
- Kayak and other paddling equipment (you are also welcome to bring your own)
- ACA-certified Instructor