Join us for a two-day and one-night adventure on the Maine Island Trail! This trip offers a chance to experience the joys of kayak camping in the gorgeous and rugged islands of Casco Bay.
Casco Bay Full Day Tour
- Adult Ages 16+
- Private Tour , 1 - 4 people Price is per trip
- Private Tour , 5+ people Price is per person
Encounter the History and Beauty of Casco Bay in Maine by Kayak
Our Full-Day Kayak Tour is a chance to sea kayak to some of the most historically fascinating and scenic landmarks in the Portland region. Unlike our other tours, we limit this trip to 6 or fewer people and we require participants to have at least one previous sea kayaking experience. You’ll spend the day island-hopping through the rugged islands of Casco Bay. Along the way you’ll visit several 19th century forts, paddle past lighthouses and feel the swell of the open ocean underneath your kayak.
On this trip we often visit some of Casco Bay’s lighthouses and forts, including Spring Point Light, Fort Preble, Portland Head Light, Fort Scammel, Ram Island Light, Bug Light and Fort Gorges. You’ll also have the chance to hone your paddling skills, learn about the natural history of the area, visit islands on the Maine Island Trail and spot wildlife like seals, osprey and eiders. You’ll see many sides of Casco Bay, including the bustling working waterfront of Portland harbor, the cliff-lined outer islands exposed to the open ocean and the more protected coves lined with beaches.
This trip is designed for paddlers of a range of skill levels and the group will take many breaks and stops along the way. However, the trip does involve a very full and active day, so we suggest our shorter trips for first-time kayakers or anyone who has difficulty with prolonged physical activity. All participants should have tried sea kayaking at least once before. This trip sometimes starts in a different location than our main site (due to a one-way route), so you may be transported by van to the launching site at the start of the trip. The cost of this trip includes a delicious picnic lunch, with a vegetarian option.
- Visits to some of Maine’s most interesting & picturesque forts and lighthouses
- Lunch on a Maine island beach
- Possible sightings of seals, eider ducks, guillemots, osprey, eagles and all sorts of seabirds
- Possible splashing and dripping during the paddle — you may get slightly damp or wet.
- Choice between a solo sea kayak and a double (two-person) sea kayak.
- A delicious, well-rounded picnic lunch on an island, plus snacks.
- An expert sea kayak guide who will create an custom itinerary that fits with the group’s background and interests, as well as with the conditions.