This two-hour adventure on Casco Bay is designed for families with children ages seven and up. Enjoy a fun paddle along the waters of Portland harbor and its surrounding islands! The slower pace of this tour is perfect for novice paddlers and children.
Fort Scammel Sea Kayak Trip
- Adult Ages 18+
- Youth Ages 12-17
- Private Tour , 1 - 4 people Price is per trip
- Private Tour , 5+ people Price is per person
Island-Hop on Casco Bay to a Rarely-Visited Island Fort
Fort Scammel, a beautiful granite structure built in 1808, has long been inaccessible to the public. We’re excited to offer this rare chance to sea kayak across Casco Bay to House Island for a tour of the historic site with its current caretakers.
The trip starts at our main site at the East End Beach in Portland, where an expert guide offers a brief safety talk and gets everyone fitted in a sea kayak. The guide then leads the group on an island-hopping tour across Portland harbor towards Fort Scammel. Along the way, the group enjoys views of Casco Bay’s many islands, along with several lighthouses and other Portland landmarks. The route also passes right beside Fort Gorges, another fascinating island fort that kayakers often visit. Seals are often spotted on this route too!
Once the group reaches House Island everyone will be invited into the underground passageways leading to the expansive catacombs-like interior of Fort Scammel. A guide will tell the group all about the fort’s history and reveal some of its most interesting features.
- A visit to historic Fort Scammel, where you’ll tour the site and explore the shores of House Island
- Possible sightings of seals, eider ducks, guillemots, osprey, eagles and all sorts of seabirds
- Roughly 2.5 hours of slow to moderate-paced sea kayaking; appropriate for novice
- A snack on the shores of House Island before paddling back to Portland
- Double (two-person) sea kayaks that are stable, swift and perfect for beginners. Or, if you prefer, request a solo kayak.
- A brief lesson on the basics of sea kayaking taught by an expert kayak guide
- Licensed Maine Guide