Learn expedition skills and explore the waters of Casco Bay during our weekend workshop! Expedition Weekend focuses on the process of planning and executing longer distance sea kayak tours.
Intro to Sea Kayak Weekend Workshop
- Introductory Skills Weekend Workshops
Spend Two Days Learning the Essential Skills of Sea Kayaking
This is the workshop for anyone who wants to become a sea kayaker.
Our Intro to Sea Kayaking Weekend Workshop is designed for anyone who is new to sea kayaking or has very limited experience. We’ll cover everything we typically cover in our two-part Intro to Sea Kayak courses, as well as in our Intro to Sea Kayak Rescues course. The additional time provided by the two-day weekend workshop will allow us to go a bit deeper into the fundamentals than we usually do with the stand-alone courses.
Students will have the opportunity to use the skills and knowledge they’re learning in the workshop during a day paddle to an island destination. If you think you’d enjoy becoming a sea kayaker, this workshop is a great way to get started. You’ll learn the essential skills, get to know Casco Bay from a paddler’s perspective and get connected with a group of fellow kayakers.
We will be on the water from 9am-4pm each day of the workshop.
- Proper technique for the essential paddling strokes
- How to identify the major risks and hazards kayakers face in coastal environments
- The primary features of a sea kayak that make it seaworthy
- How to predict and assess the conditions for coastal kayaking in Maine (tides, winds, waves, fog, etc.)
- How to make a crossing over open water on the Maine coast
- How to cope with winds and waves
- How to complete a “wet exit” when a kayak capsizes
- How to complete a self-rescue and an assisted rescue
- How to use a rudder or skeg
- Techniques that can be used to maintain boat control and move efficiently.
- How to stabilize yourself using bracing technique
- The key considerations when selecting a kayak and paddling gear
All the kayaking gear you need is provided and included in the cost of the course.
- Drybag so you can bring along a few items on the water (snacks, phone, warm layer, etc.)
You are welcome to use your own kayak and/or any other gear you may have. Kayaks used for this workshop must be at least 14 feet in length.
This workshop is designed for novice paddlers with no (or very little) prior sea kayaking experience.
Learning to kayak can be physically challenging for some people, however. If you are concerned that your level of fitness or mobility may make it difficult for you to fully participate in the workshop you might consider joining one of our guided day trips or shorter lessons first to get a sense of how it feels to spend time in a sea kayak.