Join the bracing and edging lesson in Maine! Improve boat control by mastering these two essential and interrelated skills! This lesson is for intermediate to advanced paddlers.
Intro to Sea Kayak Rescues
- Paddler Ages 15+
Learn essential capsize recovery skills at our waterfront site in Portland, Maine
Getting back into a kayak after a capsize might be more difficult than you expect — especially if you’ve never learned how to do it. That’s why it’s so important to learn some techniques that enable you to rescue yourself and fellow paddlers if someone accidentally flips over. Hypothermia sets in quickly on the Maine coast, and even in ideal conditions re-entering a kayak from the water takes skill, experience and, in some cases, special equipment.
This course will give you a chance to learn and practice some of the most tried and true kayak rescues. Your instructor will do their best to customize the course to meet with each student’s goals and interests. You will be in and out of the water throughout the session, so plan to get wet!
Portland Paddle (and most sea kayaking outfitters in North America) will require you to have the skills taught in this course before letting you rent a sea kayak for use on open coastal waters.
- How to perform an assisted capsize recovery, including a “T-Rescue”
- How to perform a solo capsize recovery
- Alternative methods of re-entering a capsized kayak
- Other crucial considerations for dealing with capsizes (hypothermia, group management, equipment failures, etc.)
- Prior experience paddling a sea kayak
- Prior experience performing a “wet exit” (capsizing a kayak and exiting the boat)
- Kayak and other paddling equipment, including paddle floats and bilge pumps
- Wetsuit (please use your own if you have one)