Learn the basics of sea kayaking in the warm waters of a Portland area indoor pool! Learn some techniques that enable you to rescue yourself and fellow paddlers if someone accidentally flips over.
Sea Kayak Rolling Clinic at Westbrook Pool
- Paddler Ages 16+
Learn how to roll a kayak at an indoor pool in the greater Portland area!
This course will teach you how to roll a kayak — an invaluable safety skill that’s also endlessly fun. We’ll spend most of the time in the water mastering a series of techniques that will lead to an actual attempt at the roll. If you haven’t rolled by the end of the course, you’ll leave knowing what you need to do to get there. This course, which is limited to five students per instructor, is taught by Portland Paddle’s most experienced ACA-certified instructors. You may also have an opportunity to work on other kayaking skills, such as bracing, edging and alternative self-rescues. This course is limited to students with previous experience capsizing and reentering a sea kayak.
For information on our Summer Rolling Clinics, click here!
- The dynamics of the “hip snap” that enable the roll
- Methods of rolling, with a focus on the C-to-C roll and sweep roll
- Techniques for practicing rolling with a partner and solo
- Prior experience paddling a sea kayak
- Prior experience performing a “wet exit” (capsizing a kayak and exiting the boat)
- Kayak and other paddling equipment (you are also welcome to bring your own)
- Expert instruction from an ACA-certified instructor